- AGES: Grades 7 – 12
- STUDENTS SESSION:Fridays, 10:30am -12pm from July 10, 2020 – August 28th, 2020
- PARENT SESSION: Tuesdays, 6:30pm – 7:00pm from July 7th, 2020 to August 25th, 2020
- LOCATION: Online through ZOOM
- COST: $800
Social Skills Teaching
PEERS (Program for the Education and Enrichment of Relational Skills) ABA Learning Centre Summer program is an online 8-week social skills program that teaches middle and high school students (grades 7—12), with high functioning autism or Asperger’s Syndrome, to make and keep friends.
Created by Dr. Elizabeth Laugeson and her colleagues at UCLA, the PEERS program is the only evidence-based social skills intervention for adoles- cents and young adults that has resulted in significant gains in knowledge and use of social skills.
PEERS is taught in weekly, small-group settings, using techniques including didactic instruction, modeling, coaching, behavioral rehearsal, performance feedback, and weekly homework assignments supported by parents/ caregivers.
Parents: We want you, too!
Parent participation is a vital component of the PEERS model. There is a weekly parent group, run by a trained facilitator, in which caregivers learn to be effective social coaches for their child.
Additionally, parents will help their child complete weekly assignments (e.g. phoning a friend, hosting a get-together, etc).
Topics include how to:
- Use appropriate conversation skills
- Find common interests by trading information
- Appropriately use humor
- Enter and exit conversations between peers
- Handle rejection, teasing, and bullying
- Be a good host during get-togethers
- Make phone calls to friends
- Choose appropriate friends
- Be a good sport
- Handle arguments and disagreements
- Change a bad reputation
Are you interested in learning to make and keep friends? If so, PEERS is for you!
***This is not a behaviour intervention program, as its main focus is social skills development. Group placement is determined by clinicians after the group intake. Acceptance into the program is not guaranteed.
For more information, or to request an intake package, please contact Sara Peralta, Behaviour Consultant, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office at 604-232-4122.